The Cities Development Initiative for Asia (CDIA) has prepared a PPP Guide for Municipalities offering an innovative view to help local governments understand how to approach a potential PPP project and to review some issues that may come up in the process.
It is one of the few guides that are specifically targeted at city officials, such as mayors and council members, as well as senior technical staff in different sectors (e.g. water, energy, roads, ports) that are just beginning to look at PPP options. It is not a book of comprehensive answers but a basic guide about how to view PPPs and where to find more information so that local authorities can come to find their own answers.
Case Study: Banda Aceh, Indonesia – Leveraging Public Assets. Download a copy of this case study by clicking here: Banda Aceh Case Study.
PPP Centres in the Asia-Pacific Region
You may wish to explore their websites for information on the topic
- Bangladesh: http://www.iifc.net/
- China, Peoples Republic of: http://www.ccppp.org/
- Fiji Island: http://www.fiji.gov.fj/publish/page_10482.shtml
- India: http://www.pppinindia.com/contact-cells.asp
- Indonesia: http://pkps.bappenas.go.id/index.php/English/Home.html
- Kazakhstan: http://www.ppp-center.kz/eng/
- Korea, Republic of: http://www.pimac.org/
- Pakistan: http://www.ipdf.gov.pk/
- Philippines: http://www.botcenter.gov.ph/
- Malaysia: http://www.ppp-advisory.com/overview.htm
- Singapore: http://www.mof.gov.sg/policies/ppp.html
- Sri Lanka: http://www.boi.lk/ppp/ppp.html
Additional Readings and Links
You may want to explore these links for additional readings and other material on the subject:
- More literature about the concept and definition of PPP can be found at: http://www.adb.org/Documents/Handbooks/Public-Private-Partnership/Chapter1.pdf , http://www.pppcouncil.ca/aboutPPP_definition.asp ,
- Detailed guidance on PPP assessment is available from: http://www.unescap.org/TTDW/ppp/trainingmaterials.html#riskidentification
- Good examples of procedures to be used are documented in: http://web.worldbank.org/external/default/main?theSitePK=4817374&piPK=64860384&pagePK=4710368&menuPK=5117613&contentMDK=21759171#practice
- For reference on bidding procedures, see: http://www.unescap.org/ttdw/Publications/TPTS_pubs/pub_2308/pub_2308.pdf.
- For more information on evaluating bide you can see: https://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/muns/fin/pdf-ppp/PPP_C4.PDF
- Sample formats for negotiation are to be found at: https://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/muns/fin/pdf-ppp/PPP_C5.PDF
- Detail discussions of how a negotiation team should be setup are: https://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/muns/fin/pdfppp/PPP_C4.PDF
- A comprehensive guide on the legal arrangements and provisions for failures can be found at: http://www.unescap.org/TTDW/ppp/trainingmaterials/PPPs_LegalWorksheet.pdf
- An interesting approach on how to select advisors can be found at: http://www.ppp.gov.za/Documents/Manual/Module%2003.pdf
- Further information on selecting an advisor: http://web.worldbank.org/external/default/main?theSitePK=4817374&piPK=64860384&pagePK=4710368&menuPK=5117613&contentMDK=21759171
This post is also available in: Chinese (Simplified)